We had a wonderful holiday and lots of family and friend time. Also had a full day of sewing with the Hem-Bots. You know who you are… Here is what I worked on that day.
Details finished up on New Year’s Day:
Yes, I know the red button is off center. Whatever…
But it took some time to get moving on the gown. Here it is:
I have actually cut away a bit more of the back edge, exposing more of the pink underskirt and it looks even better. Sewing on the little pearly bits is going to be a real pain, but I have a lot of old Stuff You Should Know and Sporkful podcasts lined up so I know I will be entertained and even learn some stuff. Did you know that totem poles have only been around since the 1700′s?
Here is one of the little design details that is different in my dresses. I put channels in the under-dress so I can put in a one piece, removable body shaper. That way it can be taken out to wash. Yay! Some people do wash their gowns, but some makers flatly say “do not wash.”
OK. So I start with the under dress inside out and make pieces the same shape. These are about 8″ long:
I made these with the most stretch lengthwise so the straps can’t pull out sideways. I have no idea if I need to do it that way or not. Pinned and basted them in:
Serged them in as I serged around the neck line and arm holes. In some gowns they would go right into the straps, but for this drapey top they are separate. I put different detachable straps in because I didn’t know which would show up best:
Finished product above. Oh – and I did a rolled hem edge on the short sides to hold it together and prevent stretch and fray.
Now to order crystals!