We all have difficult days and days when things just don’t go the way we had planned. One day is fine. Two in a row is getting a bit frustrating! I did quite a few trials of my organza with the ruffler. I had never used one before because they are rather terrifying to look at:
And because years of sewing square dance costumes in my younger days made me swear off doing anything ruffly ever again, ever. Buuuuut…here we are and ruffles are required. So think of it as a new challenge, a new start and use this wonderful piece of machinery to make it all go so easily! Not so fast…
It started out quite well. Well enough to take an in-progress photo:
That’s about 1/45th of the ruffle done. I should not have rushed to assume it would end well. After this there were the stops because the ruffler had just stopped ruffling, and the stops where it ruffled non-stop in virtually the same spot making it almost impossible to rip out. Then there were the times when it all went smoothly – for about another foot. I finally decided to switch machines and even switched ruffler feet. And it went better. Except for thread breaks! Argh! So it is mostly done, but the ruffling is uneven and the final thread break about 3 or 4 feet from the end defeated me for today.
I have a deep sense that it would have been quicker and easier to pleat this by hand. Eesh! Time to get ready to go to dance practice and I think I will not be dreaming of dancing in this dress while we practice.